Monday, November 24, 2008

Art Appreciation

The man I live with has for years been bored to tears by my dragging him to various art events. He does in fact have a good eye, so of course only 10% of the exhibits (museum and otherwise) I have dragged him to were in any way enjoyable. I have noticed a trend in his art criticism, which I have now chosen to illustrate in hopes it may better assist those who enjoy art outings, but are perhaps uncertain of how to put it into words. Maybe it is my man's fancy European schooling or his career as a writer, but I find his repeated musings to be most eloquent and to the point, don't you?


1 comment:

BomTrown said...

Exactly. What is the point? It's kind of like advertising and marketing and finding yourself sometimes watching a commercial on TV or seeing an ad on the internet that was really meant for someone else.

It's all out there floating around in the media and you are seeing it, but really the target isn't you...or is it?

Of course, there's the general idea that anything has some kind of value to everyone just because it either strengthens our pre-existing convictions or it gets us to re-think things.

Sometimes, though, I get the feeling I may be looking at a piece of art that I've been allowed to see, but was really aimed at someone more specific. Perhaps someone's former lover or someone that the artist expects to meet in the future.

So everything is relevant and everything means something, but when you and your man go out and he's not feeling the art that means he's either not getting the message or the artist did not really intend for him to get it.

??? Maybe.